Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Journey Completed - July 17

Today we got up bright and early, without our Texas friends, who left even earlier. We grabbed Tim Horton's muffins and egg sandwiches for breakfast, and headed to the airport at 8:30am thinking we had plenty of time to spare. We spent a few minutes eating our breakfast, and said our good-byes to Ms. Anthea. (We visited Canada, Eh?) Our Ambassadors of the Day are Bethanie R. and Sanders W.






















It took us quite a while to check in with American Airlines. While the teachers checked everyone in, the airport staff asked our delegates to appear in an anniversary commercial for the airline. Our students sang YVRAirport (to the tune of YMCA) and told a little about their stay in Canada.



When were finally all checked in, US Customs was overflowing. Thus our final adventure began... each teacher group navigated independently through the impossibly long lines. By the time the last groups made it through it was noon. Our departure time was 12:15. My group jogged through the airport (to the very last gate, of course), and Ms. Tiffany's group had to sprint! Her group boarded only moments before take off. Groups of 10 delegates and one really nervous leader running through an airport is surely an interesting sight. I only wish I'd had time to snap a few pictures. But we all made it!!!! :)

On our first flight we watched an on-board movie (Rio), and even participated in a service project. The flight attendants asked if any of us collected pop tops. I explained that my school collects them for Ronald McDonald House and Children's Hospital. The attendants then passed out the flats of cans. Several delegates, Ms. Lee Anne, and I popped the tops off of the cans. It fit in nicely with our on-going service project of SUSTAINIBILITY and caring for our environment!


Other delegates chose to spend their flight time involved in other activities...



Our next flight was much less eventful. We arrived in Dallas on time, and had two hours to eat. Many of the students found McDonalds. We boarded our flight after dinner and headed for home. Students read, slept, played cards, and looked forward to seeing their families.


Thank you, parents, for giving us the opportunity to watch your children grow and learn. We've had "the time of our lives". :)






Stay tuned to the blog. I will be sharing everyone's favorite memories on the next post. If your child doesn't appear on the page, they didn't turn in their favorite memory. Please email it to me at kjlns@knology.net ASAP. (Team Texas too!) I will update each time I receive an email. Thanks!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment